Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Wedding Décor & Floral Class

November was a very busy month of activities, events, and courses for Coordination Wedrose. I had always wanted to learn more about flower design and décor. I love everything about the creative process, the centrepieces, bouquets, and decorations. When the opportunity presented itself I jumped right in. We drove to Toronto to attend the Wedding Décor & Floral Course offered by Sherisse & Ali Bhimani of the Wedding Decorators Inc.


The class was held on Sunday, starting in the morning with a session in floral design. The floral designer, Shelley Da Silva (WPICC) was very informative, showing us all of the possibilities and techniques that can be used while arranging a centrepiece, bridal bouquet, and boutonnière. She brought all of her flowers, accessories, and tools with her, showing us how to use them properly, and how to create a beautiful bouquet. I was happy to learn I was on the right track. So many possibilities and ideas, I was in creative heaven! Barbara (At The School House) and I were trying to guess what Shelley was going to work with next. She had roses, carnations, calla lilies, and other really pretty flowers. Her combinations were beautiful. Names were picked from a bowl and I got to take one of Shelley’s designs home. This bouquet was one of my favourites of the day.


These are some of Shelley's designs.

This bouquet reminds me of a raspberry. I love raspberries!

We learned tips and tricks of the floral trade and what is involved in the creative design process, the time involved, the costs of materials, flowers, and pricing. Shelley was a wonderful teacher. I have to say…There is a lot of work that goes into your bridal bouquet ladies! It is a work of art.

Shelley's cake topper. This idea is simple and elegant.

The afternoon was spent with Sherisse, who showed us how to decorate a head table, cake table, and work with a backdrop. We learned about suitable materials and what works best in wedding decor. We were shown various ways to drape and fold the decorative fabric for different effects. The end result was a complete transformation of elegance. The tips and tricks will definitely come in handy. I can’t wait to start practicing. Sometimes it takes a bit of practice to get the fabric to flow just right. I have a new respect for wedding decorators.


We love our bling!

Thank you Shelley & Sherisse for a wonderful class. I can't wait to try out the new techniques.

Till Next Time
Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment